Monday, April 4, 2011

Birth Story Part 1

It was Saturday. Not just any Saturday, THE Saturday! March 19th. The date that was estimated my baby would make his/her appearance into the world.

Not having a single plan for the day (because we were hoping to be in the hospital) we decided to head to the outlets to kill time and walk around. I messaged my mom to let her know and my parents met up with us for lunch.

I went to bed that night with hope that things would get started overnight.

I woke up Sunday morning in tears. It was the day AFTER my due date. I should be hold a sweet little baby in my arms, not waking up in my bed after a full nights sleep with an over sized belly and empty arms. I did not want to go to church. I did not want to go to our couples group after words. I didn't want to see anyone. Didn't want to face the 'oh, you're still pregnant?' or 'still no baby?'. But I went. And everyone was super supportive. I even shocked a few people who asked when I was due by being able to say yesterday.

Going into work Monday morning was painful too. It should have been my first day of maternity leave. I'll be honest that it was a tough day, and I had to fight off tears a few times.

We were just getting ready to sit down and eat when it happened. I felt my first contractions! I glanced at the clock just to see. Ten minutes later I felt another one. Then another one. After an hour I mentioned it to Kevin. The rest of the night they stayed about the same. I went to sleep with hopes that this was it. They would get stronger and closer and I would have a baby in my arms tomorrow.

After being up all night thinking about it, and counting contractions, I woke up exhausted. I was tired and didn't want to go into actual labor at work so I stayed home. I got a TON of cleaning and stuff done around the house. The contractions seemed to die off during the day though. When Kevin came home we decided to head to the mall since walking is suppose to help. It must have done something, because they picked back up. By the time bedtime came around they were coming every 3-5 minutes for awhile. I laid down thinking that I needed whatever sleep I could get.

I woke up around 4am with strong period-like cramps and contractions that were coming consistently at 3 minutes apart. At 6am I decided to call my doctor. She told me she'd call over to labor and delivery to expect me.


A little after 7am we were walking up the steps of the hospital...


Anonymous said...

Ahh! I want to hear the rest of the story!!!

So happy for you :)

Lyr said...

Yay!!!! Want to hear more girl, hope you are doing ok. Do you guys need dinner?! I'll bring some to you!!