Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Oil change

So we went home this past weekend to visit my family and celebrate my birthday. My grandmother is staying with my parents this week, so it was great to see her also!!!

Well being miss independent, and a DIY kind of girl, I decided that it was time to change my oil. Well, actually my car decided since it had been almost 7 months! (yes I know that is like twice as long as I'm suppose to wait).

So after we got home from dinner I changed into some old clothes and got dirty. My daddy sat on the porch to supervise me. Well after finally finding everything I needed since my youngest bro blew up his engine and had the garage torn apart.

Everything went smoothly until I tried to put the new oil filter on. I have a splash guard, so I have reach under that and it's just a matter of feeling around to find the right spot, plus at this point I'm totally covered in oil. I finally get it, and I ask both my dad and Kevin to double check that I have everything on tightly, and they say that they have faith in me. So I add the oil, check my other fluids, and I seemed good to go.

So a few hours later we go to leave, and my mom had to grab the cat out of the driveway since he was behind my car. At the same time I ask Kevin why my oil light is on, my mom starts freaking out! I turned off my car and ran out to see my new, clean oil running out of my car and down the driveway!

Apparently the oil filter wasn't on straight, so even though it felt tight, it wasn't. Luckily I had 2 extra quarts in my trunk.

So my car got 2 oil changes in 1 day! :-)
Gotta love it!

No comments: