Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bean & Veggie Burritos

It's funny how the change in season's change so much. Over the summer there is way too much going on, and it's too nice outside (not to mention too hot inside), to cook. Our meal planning and cooking dinners feel wayward. Fast, easy, and not requiring the oven became our perimeters.

Well, now that it's cooling off, I've found myself in the kitchen all week so far. I've missed it. Kevin and I both love cooking, but we don't stop there, we love to modify meals. Having my degree in nutrition, I've spent many hours in the food lab at school learning what effects substitutions had on foods. Kevin just likes to be creative. He prefers to create a recipe as he goes. I'm excited to see what we come up with this year!

I'll leave y'all with the recipe from our Monday night meal. Enjoy! :-)

Bean and Veggie Burritos
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 med. onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 large seek potato (baked & diced)
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans
  • 1 cup corn (froze, fresh, canned you pick)
  • 1 pepper, chopped
  • 2 T lime juice
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheese
  • 4-6 tortillas (10 in)
1. Preheat over to 350*
2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add oregano, garlic and any other spices you desire, and mix.
4. Add 1T water, stir and remove from heat.
5. Stir in the sweet potato, beans, corn, pepper and lime juice.
6. Sprinkle 2 T of cheese in the center of each tortilla, and top with approx. 1 cup of the veggie/bean mixture. (I don't measure, I go by sight, which is how I end up with more tortillas)
7. Fold up the bottom and sides (burrito style) and place in a baking dish, seam side down.
8. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, or until heated through. (I think 20 minutes work fine, but that's just me.)
9. ENJOY!

Sorry I don't have a picture, I'll have to remember to keep my camera close by BEFORE we dig in!

No comments: